Year 1 & Year 2
Year 1 and Year 2 (Key Stage 1) is a transition stage between the Early Years Foundation Stage (Reception) and Key Stage 2 (Years 3 to 6), when the children are beginning to develop greater independence in their learning.
A lot of emphasis is placed in Key Stage 1 on developing key skills in English and Maths and building confidence in these core subjects. Alongside this a broad and balanced curriculum covers History, Geography, Science, Art, Information and Communications Technology (ICT), Religious Education (RE), and Personal, Social, Health and Economic education (PSHE) with specialist teaching in Music, French, Sport and Dance.
Curious and Collaborative
Our values are embedded in all that we do at SG. The children in KS1 are encouraged to be curious, to work collaboratively to solve problems together and to ask the big questions. Having a Growth Mindset is key and we encourage all our children to be ‘can-do’ people. Craftsmanship is also important: we teach our children to show pride in what they do, learning from mistakes. Making mistakes is an essential part of learning and an indicator that our children are always pushing themselves to try more challenging and adventurous tasks.
We use topics to inspire the children and make their learning fun! Responsive Teaching is key for us; teachers use formative assessment every day to inform their teaching and planning. Teachers provide immediate, corrective, verbal feedback to support each child’s progress. All Key Stage 1 children at Spring Grove have their own school Chromebook for use in the classroom.
In Year 1 the children are allocated a School House for the first time. We expect them to take greater responsibility for themselves and each other and to play a full part in the life of the School. They begin to build firm friendships, and are given increasing opportunities to work as part of a team.
Our Year 1 and 2 children go on a range of trips, for example to the Museum of Kent Life and Brogdale Farm, which are designed to extend their classroom learning and encourage them to explore more of the outdoors. They have swimming lessons in the heated school pool once a week in the Summer and Autumn terms (up to half term in the Autumn). They also visit Forest School regularly.
Overview of Year 1 and Year 2
- Teaching by experienced, well-qualified staff
- Full-time Teaching Assistants
- Excellent adult:pupil ratio
- Chromebook provided for every pupil
- Daily Maths, phonics and literacy
- Topic activities
- Regular assessment of pupil performance
- Termly parent consultations
- Annual written report
- Access to high-quality learning resources
- Forest School
- Specialist teacher for Music
- Specialist teacher for Sport
- Specialist teacher for Swimming (Summer and Autumn terms)
- Specialist teacher for French
- Specialist teacher for Dance
- Children in School Houses (Austen, Chaucer, Conrad, Dickens)
- All children perform in the KS1 Christmas Show
- Assembly presentations every term
- Curriculum trips
- KS1 clubs available
- Individual music lessons available