Our Reception class provides the best start for children as they begin full-time school. Our main Reception class is located between the Nursery and main school building, while our new (opened January 2023) Pre-Prep Building is purpose-built for Reception and Key Stage 1 children. In both buildings Reception children have direct access to dedicated play spaces that act as extensions to the classroom. Reception classes are led by specialist Early Years Teachers, each class with the support of a Teaching Assistant. Pupils are encouraged to progress at their own pace with teachers gently challenging and encouraging the children.
Reception Class: Easy Transition
We aim to make the transition into Reception as easy as possible – whether your child has been in Spring Grove Nursery, at a childminder, at home, or in another setting. We know that attending school full-time, five days a week, is a big step up for many children, and we plan our activities and timetable carefully to allow them to settle in and build up their confidence and stamina.
Reception class is the final year of the Early Years Foundation Stage, and our teaching focuses on the areas of learning and development outlined in the EYFS – communication and language, physical development, personal, social and emotional development, literacy and numeracy, understanding the world, and expressive arts and design. We continue to use the Tapestry app in Reception for communication between school and home.
Beyond the Classroom
Broadening the children’s experiences is a key aim and the children have Forest School sessions every two weeks, trips, and visits from ZooLab and the Police and Fire services. In the Summer term the children start weekly swimming lessons, and in the same term they present their first Assembly to the whole school. Throughout the year, Prep 6 pupils visit Reception class to read and play with the younger children.
Overview of Reception class:
- Teaching by experienced, well-qualified staff
- Full-time Teaching Assistants
- Small class sizes
- Daily maths, phonics and literacy
- Chromebook provided for every pupil
- Topic activities and child-initiated play
- Regular assessment of pupil performance
- Termly parent consultations
- Access to high quality learning resources
- Forest School
- Specialist teacher for Music
- Specialist teacher for Sport
- Specialist teacher for Swimming (Summer term)
- Specialist teacher for French
- Option to take ballet lessons (additional cost)
- Lead roles in the Nativity Play at Christmas
- Assembly presentation in the Summer term
- Curriculum trips
- Reception clubs available
Get in Touch
To find out more about applying for a place in the Reception class at Spring Grove please fill out the contact form below.